8 Must See Islands to Visit in the Philippines
The Philippines is a piece of paradise on earth made up of 7,107 islands. Each island ranges from world-class beaches and coral reefs to mountain ranges and tropical rainforests. If you are looking for a tropical getaway and do not have a destination in mind then I highly recommend visiting this incredible country. I had a wonderful experience and will never forget this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Below are the top 5 MUST-SEE Islands to visit in the Philippines!
#1: Coron Island
Coron truly takes the cake as the most magical island because it is home to natural beauty, including limestone cliffs, diving sites, white sand beaches, and mountain lakes.
- How to get there: Fly into Busuanga with Cebu Pacific and take a 45-minute van to Coron.
- Tip: There is nowhere to stay on the island overnight.
- What to do: Go scuba diving or rent a scooter and explore the golden fields, dusty roads, and rolling hills.
- What it is known for: This island has very few to no tourists, a few villages, and the fact that it is underdeveloped. This island does not have gourmet food and there is not much nightlife.
- Fun Fact: Coron is among the Top 10 Best Scuba Diving Sites in the World by Forbes Travel Magazine.
#2: Cebu Island
Cebu Island has everything that you could ask for on a dream vacation.
- How to get there: The fastest way to Cebu is by plane. You can fly from Manila to Matan-Cebu International Airport through Cebu Pacific.
- What to do: Swim with Whale Sharks off the coast of Oslob Beach. You can also complete Kawasan Canyoneering, a hike down a canyon. Lastly, you can go parasailing, jet skiing, and banana boating.
- Helpful Blog Post #1: 7 Tips for Swimming with Whale Sharks in Oslob, Cebu, Philippines
- Helpful Blog Post #2: Tips for Completing Canyoneering in Badian, Cebu, Philippines
- What it is known for: Cebu is known for being home to Canyoneering in Kawasan Falls.
- Fun Fact: The Sinulog grand and colorful festival is in Cebu! The festival features street dancing and novena masses.
#3: Apo Island
- What to do: Swim with Sea Turtles
- What it is known for: Apo Island is also known as Turtle Island because you will see giant sea turtles constantly surfacing for air all around you. I highly recommend jumping off the boat to swim with them.
#4: Bohol Island
Bohol is a magnificent tropical island located in Central Visayas in the Philippines.
- How to get there: Fly to Cebu City airport and take a ferry boat to Tagbilaran City.
- Tip: You can travel throughout Bohol by bus or rent a car.
What to do: Visit their infamous Chocolate Hills and explore the Tarsier sanctuary to observe their cute primates.
- Fun Fact: The tarsier is the second smallest primate on earth!
#5: Siquijor Island
- How to get there: Fly from Manila to Dumaguete in Negros Oriental. From there, get a tricycle or jeepney to the Dumaguete port, where you will travel by ferry to Siquijor Island.
- Tip: Rent a bike because public transportation is not always reliable and have money with you!
- What to do: Visit Cambuhagay Falls, the Enchanted Balete Tree, Lugnason Falls, and the beautiful beaches. Some famous beaches are Paliton Beach, Kagusuan Beach, and Salagdoong Beach.
- What is the Island Known for? The island is a land of witchcraft, enchantments, and sorcery.
- How to get there: Fly to Palawan Island from Manila through Cebu Pacific.
- Tip: There are no hospitals in El Nido.
- What to do: Visit the small and big lagoon in El Nido, go scuba diving or snorkeling, and visit the Puerto Princesa Underground River.
- Fun Fact: There are no sidewalks in town
- How to get there: Take the fastest route from Manila to Caticlan, a 35-minute flight via Cebu Pacific or Asian Spirit. Take a short tricycle ride to the Caticlan port and then take a 15-minute boat ride to Boracay.
- Tip: Boracay is overcrowded with many activities and attractions.
- What to do: Watch the sunset and sunrise on the Island’s beautiful white sand beaches, experience the lively nightlife and events, and go cliff diving.
- Helpful Blog Post: 5 Best Things to Do in Boracay, Philippines
- Fun Fact: The population consists of 12,000 people!
#8: Manila, Luzon
- How to get there: Take a bus ride to North Luzon that departs from Paway and Cubao in Manila.
- Tip: There is traffic, and Luzon is overcrowded because there are 12 million residents.
- What to do: Visit the 2,000-year-old Banaue’s rice terraces in Northern Luzon and explore Mt. Mayon in Legazpi.
Have you ever been to the Philippines? We listed 8 must see Islands to visit in the Philippines. Please comment down below about your experience. Listed are photos from my experience swimming with Sea Turtles in Apo Island!
Top of this post: 8 Must See Islands to Visit in the Philippines!