11 Best Things to Do in Morgantown
Morgantown is the largest city in North-Central West Virginia along the Monongahela River. Morgantown is best known as the home of West Virginia University. The country has beautiful mountain views and a great college football team. There are many outdoor adventures, restaurants, galleries, and sporting events to attend. Below are the top 11 best things to do in Morgantown, West Virginia.
I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Marketing from West Virginia University in May 2016. I met interesting people from different cultures, countries, and backgrounds. I loved the atmosphere and how all of the students come together as one on game days, and I am thrilled to have gone to WVU, as Morgantown has become my second home. Once a Mountaineer, Always a Mountaineer!
1. Attend the WVU Coliseum to Watch a Sporting Event
I recommend going to a WVU sporting event at the 14,000-seat Coliseum. Every seat has a full view of the court. The Coliseum has sporting games and events for basketball, wrestling, volleyball, and gymnastics. WVU has kept up with maintenance and renovations to enhance the experience for fans. If you love sports, you have got to put the Coliseum on your bucket list!
- Tickets: You can buy tickets inside the Coliseum or online here!
- Schedule: View the Basketball Schedule here!
- Location: Evansdale Campus
2. Watch a WVU Football Game at the Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium
I recommend going to a WVU Football game, as the atmosphere is loud, festive, and blissful. At a tailgate, you can expect craft beer and gourmet food. WVU fans love to come early, stay late, and never worry about feeling welcomed.
- The Pride of West Virginia marching bands perform, Take Me Home Country Roads!
- The Mountaineer Mascot is one of the most beloved of WVU athletic traditions.
Buy parking passes and tickets in advance by clicking here. Lots closest to the Mountaineer Field require season parking passes. However, there are plenty of lots that allow single-game passes.
Once you are inside the stadium, you cannot leave and re-enter
If you are staying in a hotel downtown, you can take the PRT to Medical or Evansdale campus to get to the Football Stadium. View the PRT Operating Schedule here.
3. Go Wine Tasting at the Forks of Cheat Winery.
The Forks of Cheat Winery is in the Appalachian Mountains of North Central West Virginia. Visit and try their tasty prize-winning wines created from French hybrid and American varietal grapes over sixteen acres. This winery is well known for its beautiful views and the exceptional taste of red, white, and fruit wines. My favorite is Niagara, a sweet white American Varietal with a fruity finish. I could not help but leave this winery without buying a few bottles of Niagara!
- Price: Wine tasting is free
- Hours: Mon-Fri: 9 AM-5 PM, Sat: 10 AM-5 PM, Sun: 1 PM-5 PM
Forks of Cheat Winery
2811 Stewartstown Road
Morgantown, WV 26508
4. Buy Fresh Goods at the Morgantown Farmers Market
If you are looking for fresh and local food at reasonable prices, then the Morgantown Farmers Market is the place to be on a Saturday morning. All vendors are friendly and welcoming. The market is also a great way to help the community, meet and connect with people, and try new food items.
- Location: 400 Spruce St, Corner of Spruce and Fayette Street, Morgantown, WV 26505-5506
- Hours: Saturday from 8:30 AM to 12 PM
5. Visit Cheat Lake.
Cheat Lake is the perfect destination for kayaking, swimming, bike riding, boating, fishing, and hiking. You can kayak for only $10 per hour. The staff is friendly and helpful. The scenic, quiet, and uncrowded trail has beautiful views and is less than 10 miles from the lake. It is a lovely area to relax and soak in a peaceful atmosphere.
6. Watch a play at the Metropolitan Theatre
I saw the local play entitled, Aladan. The charming show was very entertaining.
- Location: 369 High Street, Morgantown, West Virginia
7. Bars and Clubs on High Street
Visit the bars and experience the nightlife on high street to get the college experience.
- Joe Mamas- 21+ nightclub, LIVE music every Friday
- Bent Willey’s- 18 to enter, 21 to drink, $1 draft and $1 mixed drinks on Wednesdays
- Fat Daddy’s- Taco Tuesday- $1 Tacos, $1.50 Miller Lite, $2 Margaritas
- Gibbie’s Pub & Eatery- Karaoke night every Wednesday at 10 pm
- Rock Top Bar and Grille- Rooftop with hot tubs
8. Tropics Restaurant
Tropics is one of my favorite restaurants in Morgantown, as their food is delicious, the staff is friendly, and they have quick service. The last time I went to this restaurant was after the graduation ceremony with my close friends at WVU and my family. I ordered the Ahi Tuna Dish and the Garlic Chicken Wings and was very satisfied with my meal, as it was delicious. Their menu consists of Hawaiian food and tropical fruity drinks.
- Monday: Wing Night at 5 pm
- Tuesday: $2 Fish Tacos
- Wednesday: All You Can Eat Crab Fest at 6 pm
- Thursday: Steak Night at 5 pm
- Location: 2500 Cranberry Sq., Morgantown, WV 26508-9200
9. Hike up Coopers Rock
I highly recommend visiting Coopers Rock, as the view is super unique, breathtaking, and mesmerizing. You even have the option to drive to the top to see this spectacular view if you are being lazy. However, if you decide to hike, do not forget to wear hiking shoes!
10. Swim at Blue Hole
I recommend swimming in the clear blue water at blue hole.
Transportation: To get to Blue Hole, you need a 4-wheel drive high clearance vehicle
11. Explore the Morgantown Campus and Ride the PRT.
You cannot visit Morgantown without riding the PRT or exploring the campus. You must-see the historic, beautiful buildings downtown!
We listed the 11 best things to do in Morgantown! Have you ever been to any of these places in Morgantown? How was your experience?
Top of this Post: 11 Best Things to Do in Morgantown
Similar Post: Top 10 Places to Visit in the United States