Cappadocia lies in the heartland of what is now Turkey. The rocky wonderland was shaped by millions of years of natural phenomena. Below we list 13 things to do in Cappadocia.
- The landscape and rock formations formed 60 million years ago
- The carved churches are famous for having a strong historical connection to the medieval time
- This place spans an area of about 5,000 square kilometers
Things to Do:
1- Hot air balloon tour at sunrise-
What better way to see Cappadocia than on a hot air balloon?
2- Goreme Open-Air Museum–
The Goreme Open-Air museum represents the evolution and history of the region. The museum has historic churches with incredible paintings to see. There is an audio guide that you can listen to and learn more about the various sites throughout the museum.
3- Visit the Uchisar Castle-
The Castle was a defense system back in the day and now is a Castle with great views. The Castle is located in Uchisar and is worth a visit.
4- Visit Cappadocia Valleys–
Did you know? The 60 million years of volcanic eruptions created the shapes of the valleys in Cappadocia.
- Red Valley- You will not regret catching the sunset at Red Valley. An entry ticket is required. While at Red Valley, you can visit a local cafe nearby before enjoying the incredible sunset view.
- Rose Valley- Rose Valley rocks turn the color dark pink in the afternoon. The color is where the valley gets its name. You will also be able to go inside two churches near the valley.
- Devrent Valley– Devrent Valley has rocks shaped as various animals like camels and lions.
- Love Valley- The cafes at the top of Love Valley have props shaped in a heart. The swings make for an Instagram hot spot. You will also find rocks shaped as fairy chimneys.
5- Try the local wine–
This private wine tour takes you to historic vineyards, where you will learn about the various grape varieties and pick grapes. You will taste wine at a wine factory in Cappadocia. The tour also takes you to Turasan Winery. Did I forget to mention? The tour guides gift you with a bottle of wine.
6- Selime Monastery–
The Selime Monastery was carved in volcanic ash. The trip to the Monastery is a climb, but the stunning views make it worth it from both inside the various rooms and outside.
7- Temples of the Ihlara Valley–
Ihlara Valley is home to rock carvings that form historic churches and caves all within a canyon that goes about 98 meters below the surface. 16 of the 105 churches are open for visitors. Each story was made for a different reason. The fourth story was made as a wine fermentation and wineries, the third story was made to store food, and the second story was made as a kitchen and school.
8- Visit the mysterious multi-story underground cities–
You can visit Derinkuyu underground city or Kaymakli underground city in Cappadocia. The construction date is unknown; however, we know it was carved out of soft volcanic material.
9- Stay in a real cave with all modern conveniences–
Stay in a cave turned hotel room for a unique experience in Cappadocia. Book your hotel here!
10- Ride Horses or Camels-
This two-hour camel riding tour has incredible views of Cappadocia, as you will be able to see Rose Valley and Red Valley.
11- Visit a pottery workshop on modeling clay pots–
Try pottery making for yourself and let your creativity take over at the pottery workshop. The area is famous for the artwork made from the red clay of the Avanos River.
12- Visit the Carpet Galerie Ikman, a famous carpet store–
The Carpet Galerie Ikman is one of the most amazing spots to go and take photos with carpets as your backdrop.
13- Visit Tuz Golu, the second largest lake in Turkey–
This lake provides 60% of the country’s salt. Although it is the second largest lake in Turkey, it is very shallow.
Have you ever been to Cappadocia? Please comment down below about your experience!
Similar Post: Europe Trip 101
Hello Sunshine Tank Top$25.00
Eat Sleep Travel Repeat Tank Top$25.00
American Flag Tank Top$25.00
New York Tank Top$25.00
Los Angeles Tank Top$25.00
Never Stop Exploring Tank Top$25.00
Miami Beach Tank Top$25.00
California Tank Top$25.00